Newly created fields are automatically indexed and available for searching, however there may be times that it isn't desirable to index a field, such as for large text fields where searching fo a word or term within them slows down your search.
You can choose which fields are indexed for searching within the metadata field edit page by checking or unchecking the "index this field" option.
If the field was previously not set to be indexed you will need to select "index" and save, then "re-index" the field using the "reindex this field" link in the text box below the index option.
- Partial indexing - Allows searching and matching algorithms to check only parts of this field. This doesn't always work well with long detailed words as they may be part recognised to produce several words from a single word.
- Display field - Determines if a field is visible on the resource view page, if not displayed it can still be used for searching.
- Enable advanced search - Allows this field to be shown on the advanced search page
- Enable simple search - Allows this field to be shown on the Simple Search panel, for fast access searching.
- Use for find similar - Means the field is available to help users find similar resources. Options in this field with which the current resource is tagged will display at the bottom of the resource view page as a prompt to find other resources with shared metadata.