The analytics function allows detailed reporting on a variety of system actions, broken down by user group and filtered by a number of different filter options.
Creating a new report
The report management screen is accessed from the Admin menu at the top of the screen by clicking "Analytics". Reports are specific to your user account - other users will not see the reports you create. By default you will have no reports and must click "Create new report" to set up your first report.
- Report name - the report name as displayed in your managed list
- Activity - the type of activity that you wish to report on - by default, all activities are displayed producing a large report
- Group - optionally allows you to filter activity actions performed by users in a particular user group or groups (multi-select)
- Period - filter to activity in the last X days or a specific date range. Important - if publishing tiles to the dash then it is probably best to filter by a number of days rather than a fixed date range. This way, the dash tile is dynamic and will update the date range automatically to always show the last X days.
- Collection filtering - choose one of your own collections or a Featured Collection to limit activity to only those performed on resources in the selected collection. Note that this will limit the activity list to only actions that can be performed on resources as you would expect.
- External shares - select how external shares are handled. Options are:
- "...are ignored" - do not report at all on any actions performed when the user was accessing via an external share link
- "...are combined with the user group of the sharing user" - any actions performed via external share links are treated as if it is the sharing user that is performing the action
- "...are reported as a separate user group" - actions performed via external share links are reported separately, just as if there is a dedicated user group for all external share activity
- Graph types - Limit the report to a specific type of graph
- Breakdown pie - (if applicable) for certain activities a breakdown by the object that the action was performed on can be shown.
- User group pie - a pie chart breaking down activity by user group
- Time line - A line graph of activity over time for the selected period
- Summary block - total figures for activity
For each selected activity type a report block will be displayed summarising that activity for the selected period / group / collection (etc.) as selected.
Hovering over the pie charts with your mouse will display the name of the selected segment. Likewise, hovering over the points on the line graph will display the exact date and action count.
Add report to dash
"Add to dash" next to each report graph will add the selected graph to your ResourceSpace home page as a dash tile. This can be dragged / dropped to reorder or can be dragged to the 'bin' that appears on the left side of the screen when dragging.
There is the option to add a custom title to the dash tile. This could for example include some of the filter options so it's obvious to you what this represents, such as "User sessions last 30 days".
Note - subsequent changes you make to the report options WILL NOT be reflected on the dash tile. A 'snapshot' of the options at the time of the publish to the dash tile is used instead. However, clicking on the dash tile will take you to the originating report.