Useful User Permissions
How your users access resources is easy to modify and there are many options within the user group permissions to determine which users can create, update and view resources. Although this would ordinarily be a system administrators job, understanding the user permissions is important for a resource administrator to get the most out of the system.
If you would like to find out more about how to configure these options, visit the dedicated section for System Administrators.
The following list details the different permissions and methods of control over user interactions with resources.
User group permissions
Searching / access
- Can download restricted resources and view confidential resources (normally admin only)
- Block Access to workflow state: 'Pending submission', 'Pending review', 'Active', 'Waiting to be archived', 'Archived', 'Deleted'
- Restrict Access to All available Resources
- Can Make Resource Requests
- Show watermarked previews/thumbnails
- Can See all fields - If this is unchecked you can specify which fields the user group can see
- Can Edit all fields - If this is unchecked you can specify which fields the user group can edit
- Can see resource type: 'Audio, 'Document, 'Photo', 'Video'
- Restricted access only to resource type: 'Audio, 'Document, 'Photo', 'Video'
- Restricted upload for resource of type: 'Audio, 'Document, 'Photo', 'Video'. Setting this permission prevents user from creating resources of the specified type
Resource creation / management
- Edit Access to workflow state: 'Pending submission', 'Pending review', 'Active', 'Waiting to be archived', 'Archived', 'Deleted'
- Edit access to Access state: 'Open', 'Restricted', 'Confidential', 'Custom'
- Can create resources / upload files (admin users; resources go to 'Active' state)
- Can create resources / upload files (normal users; resources go to 'Pending Submission' state via My Contributions)
- Can delete resources (to which the user has write access)
- Can manage archive resources
- Can manage alternative files
- Can publish collections as featured collections
- Can see all theme catgeories - if unchecked you can specify only those that the user group will have access to
- When searching, display only resources that exist within featured collections to which the user has access
- Can manage research requests
- Can manage resource requests
- Can assign resource requests to others
- Can be assigned resource requests (also; can only see resource requests assigned to them in the Manage Resource Requests area)
User group advanced options
- Search Filter - filter the users search results by field values
- Edit filter - filter the resources a user can edit by field values
- Derestrict filter - allows access to a restricted resource if a condition is met
- Resource defaults - set defaults for a resource on upload (for this user group only)